Town of Charlotte has approved 9 Hole Course

jsuds

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 am

Hi All-

The town of Charlotte recreation Committee has approved a 9 hole course be installed at their Town Beach property. It has some open, some wooded, a few elevations and would be a first

for Chittenden County. The only Caveat is that they don't want to expend town money for purchase/installation, however they will maintain the areas needing cutting (they already do).

The location is nice because it is maintained, has ample parking and bathroom facilities, and I post here to gauge the ability/desire of the GMDGC to assist with acquiring baskets and

installation of the course as well as of course some design consultation. I believe with the assistance of the club this could proceed and be in before winter. The town has already posted

on their local forum to solicit baskets from local businesses.

Please advise.

John S.

Justin World Peace

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am

Chittenden county courses would be awesome. Jsuds, I'll definitely help. I just want to be clear about one thing. I don't think nine hole courses are the way to go. I know all the arguments for them, but I really don't think it's the direction to head.

All that said, I'll still help out.

jsuds

Re: Town of Charlotte has approved 9 Hole Course

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:35 pm

I agree with you Justin. In fact I indicated that GMDGC would likely be able to contribute/get contributed all the baskets, labor, and design for an 18-hole Chittenden County course....they came back with this. I guess it would be a good start at least.

Holmesy

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:21 pm

How much land do we have to work with?

jspring

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 pm

I'll help! Let me know how I can be of service. Great job jsuds!

DGVT
Site Admin

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Awesome John! Let me know how I can help and how,we, the gmdgc,can help. We should schedule a day for those interested in helping to walk the land.
Disc Golf Vermont

Not Sure

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Maybe see about obtaining the funds raised for the defunct H'ardack course. I think the person responsible for that said they would t mind donating that money to another new course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsteele

Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Greetings from Charlotte,
There has arisen the need for the Recreation Committee to jump through a few more hoops before the disc golf project gets official approval. This involves getting the Conservation Committee on board (they have some sort of jurisdiction over the beach property), and obtaining a more formal approval from the select board. It is my understanding that the matter will be taken up at the next select board meeting on Sept. 15th. I will do my best to assist the recreation committee in this process by providing as much information as I can. Hopefully this is just a formality, and things can move forward with the blessing of all parties. I'll keep you all posted as I know more.
It looks like the beach property can accommodate a 14 hole course. A map of the potential layout is attached.
Cheers,
Rich

rsteele

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:57 am

Update from Charlotte:
The select board voted unanimously to allow installation of a course at the beach property. The conservation committee has also given a green light. It has been requested that the town tree warden provide consultation regarding the wooded area, and we're working on setting that up. Also being investigated is is whether or not the provisions of the Shoreline Protection Act have any bearing on the clearing work that would be done.
Cheers,
Rich

Mad4disc

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Fantastic! Thanks for all of your help and interest RSteele!

Chris
NCDGA