Wrightsville players: ever recover lost discs??

Talk about anything related to disc golf...
justinperkins
Wrightsville players: ever recover lost discs??

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:10 am

Between my girlfriend and I, we are pretty damn frustrated with the lack of call backs or texts on lost discs at Wrightsville. Was talking with some folks during the tourney and they mentioned the same thing. For whatever reason, it seems worse here than any other course I've played in VT. Just lost another disc up in a tree the other day (hole 4) in the morning, went back in the evening same day to spend time climbing up and getting it down ... somebody already grabbed it. No call. Not in lost and found.

Super frustrating and but predictable at this point.

discdontlie

Re: Wrightsville players: ever recover lost discs??

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:05 pm

i get most of mine back at wrightsville, definitely more than at waterbury or the quarries combined. sorry to hear you are not having good luck. i also put an 802 number on my discs lately because i realized having an out of state number could give some people a wrong impression

Galluni

Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:32 pm

I've gotten all but one back from Wrightsville. There's one thing I've wondered about though... Most of my discs have my landline number on them, rather than a cell number. When people find discs, are they more likely to text than to call? Should I be putting my cell number on discs so people can text me?

Liam

Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:06 am

Galluni wrote: When people find discs, are they more likely to text than to call? Should I be putting my cell number on discs so people can text me?
Probably the best idea, there have been a few times I'll text a number on a lost disc and the person is still on the course.

discdontlie

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:03 pm

I think a cell phone number (with local area code) is the best bet. I know, from experience, that it does not even cross some people's minds that some phone numbers might not be able to receive texts

lannino

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:28 pm

I've had a disc get taken out of the lost and found at wrightsville and then returned when it was "re-lost". When I lose a disc, I assume it's gone for good at this point.

paddy

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you've had discs go un-returned here. I run the park, we receive so many found discs each year and we call the number on every one, with mixed results.
During a round last week as we had found 2 more discs, we spoke about the need for people to put their area code on the disc too. In addition to having the entire and current phone number, be sure that the marker ink is still readable.
That said, we know that some discs don't make it to us or their owner, over the years we have accumulated a couple boxes of discs that we attempted but failed to contact the owner, or that had illegible or no phone number.
If the non-returned rate is higher here (of which I'm not convinced) it could be due to the large number of new players that we get.
I know it's a bummer to lose a disc, but please trust that Wrightsville does all it can to get every returned disc, back to its owner. but your post has alerted me, so I'll place a sign at the 1st fairway that instructs people to return found discs to the booth, or to a Disc Return Slot, that I'll create on our tool shed. And when a disc still goes un-returned please appreciate that you'll still have great rounds without that specific disc, and hopefully someone new to the game is putting it to good use.

justinperkins

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks Paddy. Extra signage can't hurt.

Wrighsville has been an outlier for me. I mostly play Storrs, Quarries, Wrightsville and Waterbury.

divebombvt

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:12 pm

I have had one disc in the lost in found of a handful lost. The bad news, I've had a disc literally stolen out from under me. Guy picked up my disc after I threw my drive on the hole next to the water, practically ran with it. Saw him when I was finishing up my round and confronted him, he had his bag all zipped up and couldn't make any eye contact with me and rushed to his car. I've also gotten my discs back when I see people throwing them before. Seen them sitting on the ground and realize it's mine and I get accused of stealing when I pick them up and walk off, I tell them to call the number on it at which point they normally give it up and know they are caught being the shady side of disc golf. Sucks but not everyone understands the importance of a specific disc to your bag, aside from the financial theft they are stealing something that you've broken in and spent time learning which is irreplaceable some times.

rangduce

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 pm

There are discs you can replace, and others you can not
Sure don't know what im gonna throw, but im gonna throw a disc for sure